Saturday, April 25, 2015

Day 1 in Kheni

13 February 2015

While I am still living out of a suitcase, it is good to be able to spread out a little and cook some meals for myself.

The majority of my appliances have been mastered, more or less, but I need to remember not to set the temperature too high if attempting crepes in the curry cooker.  Heater defies my attempts to make it go; add another layer of clothing instead. Glad I have my sheepskin slippers.  Have embraced the cuisine and cooked dhal in the pressure cooker.  That took a bit of figuring out.

Bougainvillaea growing over the porch of the multi purpose hall 

The vegetation around the school is delightful.  All sorts of containers have been reused as pots for plants, and there are orchids in evidence, along with poinsettia in flower, a large and ancient magenta bougainvillea flowering profusely over the verandah of the building that houses the staff room, banana trees, with fruit, visible from the windows of my temporary residence, rows of bushy marigolds, a very attractive angel’s trumpet and much more.  A majestic tree dominates one of the spaces, I am told it is 7 different trees in one, certainly I have noticed at least 3 different species, including one with stunning red flowers I do not recognize. 
The clock tower in the school

The school is on a hill (a statement that probably does not need to be made in Bhutan) which is terraced to accommodate the school buildings and below the school the hill drops steeply to a spectacular river valley with row after row of hills disappearing into the distance and, when the sun is out, glints of buildings on the opposite hill.

The first power failure happens as I am cooking vegetable curry in the curry cooker so later I walk to the shop to buy candles, just in case.  My lovely principal, who I formally address as Principal, Sir, asks whether I would like someone to come with me, I am happy to go alone, but if I was feeling at all anxious about my new home, it would have been nice to accept.  One lady salaams me on the way – I am the respected new teacher!  Some children are happy to try out their English, others are too shy or lack the confidence. 


Walking around the school, I am impressed by some of what I see.  The school has a sign at the gate indicating it is a tobacco/alcohol/junk food free area and it seems that a roster of class captains or similar do perform checks (for the junk food..)  There are posters, created by the health club, proclaiming the dangers of alcohol and the benefits of thorough hand washing and large signboards near the school entrance providing education about AIDS and the benefits of using condoms – presumably these are aimed as much at the general village population as at the students….

No comments:

Post a Comment