Sunday, April 26, 2015

The first week of the academic year

Saturday 28 February

Kheni school from the nearby Lhakhang
The first week of the academic year has absolutely flown. 

I interrupted my lesson planning last Sunday to take myself for a walk up to the Lhakhang.  Apart from the fabulous views (which I also have from my windows) and the value of getting out in the fresh air and the exercise of climbing the hill (easier in my runners and trousers than in my dress boots and kira) the pure peacefulness of finding a small promontory on which to sit and observe the river and the hill opposite with its dominant Lhakhang (which I think I want to visit at some stage) was just lovely.  I managed to successfully communicate with a couple of villagers who inquired on the way where I was going – with total lack of common language.  I will make an effort to learn some after I have mastered my student’s names  - all 120+ of them.

The Lhakhang on the hill opposite - survived the fierce fires
a month later
I was intrigued on Sunday evening by what appeared to be processional music on the village street, but on going down to investigate realized it was coming from my landlord’s house – which is the apartment immediately below mine.  Monks were busy chanting, drums and trumpets providing the ritual music for a puja: in this case an annual ritual performed by households to ensure good luck for the coming year.  I had observed the children shaping clay earlier and had inquired as to what they were making (having seen them being quite creative previously) and their response was karma.  These models were all part of the ritual.  The process continued until late in the night and commenced early again the next morning, drums, trumpets and chanting included.
The school and sports ground sitting high above the river valley
 The next day one of the support staff who speaks little English brought to me a book with a statement written in Dzonkgha, (beautiful script) which had a number of signatures after it.  Feeling that I should investigate what I was being asked to sign, I found a colleague to translate for me.  It was an invitation from my landlord, to all staff, to a puja party that evening, commencing at 5:30pm

Kheni Cluster Village and the valley looking towards the peaks
in Arundel Pradesh
A minor household repair (fixing a fluorescent light in an internal room) was needed and my neighbour and colleague Assistant Principal, Kinley, had kindly advised my landlord, and told me that I needed to get home promptly after school to provide access for this work.  The electrician came, unsuccessfully, and having communicated that the light fitting was non-functional, indicated he would go to fetch something needed and come back – the assistance of some students provided a timeframe for this. Assistant Principal, Kinley came with the school electrician, Singay, who swopped various components to come to the conclusion that the light fitting was well and truly not working and installed a light globe alongside it – easier than using a torch anyway.

In the meantime 5:30pm had come and gone (BFT - Bhutan Flexible Time at work again) and my friends and colleagues Madam Zangmo and Madam Phub had arrived to collect me, and neighbour Sithar has wandered in.  As they were dressed in kira, I thought it appropriate to make a quick change of clothes (that could be an oxymoron when changing into kira, wonju and taego).  My piece of purchased weaving was commented upon, and the price remarked upon, and it was suggested in future that if I am offered weaving to purchase I consult Sithar for expert opinion.  We sat and chatted for some time – an hour or so – until there was evidence of other guests arriving below in the local equivalent of a marquee in the garden:  some corrugated iron to protect against the evening breeze and a tarpaulin above.  Assorted seating had been arranged but as there were few people we were invited to the house. 

Traditional seating is cross-legged on mats on the floor.  While I try, I cannot achieve cross legged with both knees on the floor as I used to be able to – and my friends’ suggestions that I would be more comfortable to get my knees lower have me admit that it is not possible – I do not have the flexibility in my hip joints.  I am therefore embarrassed, albeit more comfortable, by arrangements for me to sit on a chair. 

I get to observe the ritual around offering of “seconds” (and thirds and fourths…..) especially with the ara – the local home brew whiskey equivalent. Our hostesses’s ara is a good one, but has a kick and I request a smaller amount than the full mug that is being served to everyone.  I am given a small cup, but still brimming, and the principal and vice principal tell me that if I cannot drink it all, its OK to leave it.  There is a lot of pressure from the hostess to drink more, but the senior staff tell me that they have requested for my health and well being that I do not get the same level of pressure, very sweet of them as I consume half of what I have been served during the course of around 3 hours and its definitely packs a punch.  The ritual is that of offering and refusal a couple of times before accepting a top-up or refill, sometimes with more protesting and pressuring than other times.

Assorted snacks are served, including a deep fried rice cracker that is a bit reminiscent of the prawn crackers which can be purchased commercially at home – but is made by our hostess; deep fried dried salted fish and a dish with a mixture of zao (roasted rice), noodle and chilli; our delightful vice principal warned me that there was chilli in the dish and all responded well to my comment “chilli in Bhutanese food?  Really?”  Its nice to know my sense of humour is appreciated by those for whom my language is probably their third language.

As ara consumption increases, mainly by the men, I am told that I look a bit like Princess Dianna (presumably the parting on one side hairstyle and the fact that probably all western women look the same) and I have been exempted from SOD allocation (staff on duty – ie the staff member who will report for duty at the boarding house at 6am, conduct assembly, oversee afternoon prayer and boarder evening study….) and express my appreciation but protest that I should be sharing in staff responsibilities.  I think the response was that I already have much more of a load than I should have.  Not sure how that works, my load is similar to everyone else’s;  maybe the role of Literary Coordinator is way more that I think or maybe it is more about the load that is expected for BCF teachers, but we are paid more than the local teachers so there is no way I want to be doing less.

Around 10pm I suggest that it is getting towards time for me to leave and am promptly told that I will not be allowed to before dinner is served.  Whoops, serious faux pas there, I did not realise there would be dinner as well.  Dinner is duly served and I am told that I can go now if I wish.  A couple of kids accompany me up the steps – I wonder if they have been delegated to ensure that the very short journey happens safely – a necessity that can only be appreciated by those who have navigated in third world countries after dark –I have enough challenge coming down the steps in broad daylight wearing dress shoes and kira - with the sloping, uneven surface and the regular occurrence of dogs on the steps who have no intention of removing themselves to allow me to pass.

It was wonderful to be invited to the party; much of the conversation was not in English – as would be expected,  and I sat and listened and occasionally picked up the topic of the conversation and allayed suggestions that I might be bored.  It is so kind and generous of people to include me and I really appreciate it.

Classes are interesting; I ask my home class to think of ways they can make their classroom more beautiful and am highly impressed by a written note from one of the class captains suggesting cleaning the windows, whitewashing the walls, buying fabric to make a “subject corner” and organising pot plants for the window sills as well as cleaning the desks (I have purchased, with the 5 Nu collected from each student a broom and dustpan for sweeping the classroom and stuff for cleaning the desktops) he also suggests organising of student books (currently students bring all textbooks to class and these are stacked on their desks)  he suggests collection of a further 10Nu per student for this.  This young man is definite leadership material.

Discussions with the principal suggests, as I had thought it probably would, that whitewashing walls is not student responsibility but perhaps this can be brought to the attention of the maintenance coordinator. 

The students are polite, hardworking, and will happily copy anything I write on the board, very neatly, into their books, but when it comes to asking them to answer individual questions, much more of a challenge.   If I am doing class work on the board and they recognize a pattern, I will get an enthusiastic chanting of the pattern, but ask individuals if they understand and I get an inscrutable flick of the head.  I am disappointed when I look at the test results from revision of last year’s work – I have run it as a pre-test for the first unit on number, and am disappointed, not so much in the poor results of many, but in the fact that they have not asked for help, or advised me of their lack of understanding.  There are a couple of individuals who have asked for help and I have every intention of rewarding that early next week – let’s hope that vicarious reinforcement continues to work well.  Including those prepared to say they do not understand is one young man named Thinley.  He has given me homework this week:  his book of quotes, motivational bits and pieces, proverbs, etc – he asked me to write something for him, so I was very glad to have internet active that night…  

The pre-test results show me that I have much to do tomorrow with lesson planning for differentiated lessons.  I seem to have a range from one or two students who do not understand subtraction through to some who are very capable and possibly mathematically gifted.  Complicated by those who possibly have some visual processing issues judging by the results of copying pre-test questions from the blackboard, visual spatial learners – though I am not sure how to go about activating visual spatial brains in the teen years.  I thought I had a reasonable level of understanding in class 8, as they laughed when I talked with them about test strategy (don’t copy all questions then start the answers, because if you run out of time, all I will know is that you can copy from the board, and I already know that) but not so sure.

I am presented with the blackboard metre ruler which I asked about and which the vice principal organized for the school carpenter to make for me to my specification (a metre long piece of wood with a handle – and he has marked 10cm intervals).  I feel privileged; apparently there is one blackboard ruler for the school.  It is great to be able to draw straight lines on the board; when I want students to use rulers, it’s a bit hypocritical if I am not modeling that. 

We finally receive our registers:  to be filled out each day and balanced each day and names listed on a new page each month.  Not sure where these have been stored but mine is very musty and makes me cough every time I open it.  Perhaps I should find a spot in the sun for it for a while.  There is also a chart in the staffroom for recording of monthly percentage attendance for each class.

I have borrowed 2 thermometers from the science lab for the year, procured a notebook, and we have started our temperature recording as part of our data collection – weather monitoring project for the year.  A couple of the boys volunteered and I delegated them to recruit a few more and organise a roster.  As we get closer to the rainy season, we will need to make a rain gauge.  I have one plastic juice bottle almost empty, and will need to buy something that comes in a container has a suitable funnel shape and work out how to do the scale from the size of the makeshift funnel.  I had naively assumed that I could buy a minimum-maximum thermometer in Thimpu as well as a rain gauge.  One of the boys subsequently informs me the thermometer is broken.  I bring the one that I was using at home to the staffroom, but that gets broken also in my absence.  The frequent presence in the staffroom of a rather naughty preschooler son of a staff member is suspected as a reason.

I am being asked pronunciation and assorted other bits and pieces by my colleagues and had not really realized what a resource I might be to the school in more ways than just by being here to teach the students.

Afternoons are very windy (good for drying the washing – especially hand washed sheets, towels, kira…) and the weather is getting milder.  I have not switched on my electric heater for the past few days.  It was 21C in the sun this morning at 7:45am and it’s going to get very toasty over the next few months.  The Principal suggested today during SUPW that if I am finding it difficult standing in the sun, I can bring an umbrella.  A good idea considering a sun hat is not acceptable, and more comfortable than a hat.  He really is very considerate of my health and wellbeing.

And did I mention SUPW – socially useful productive work.  Period 4 on Saturday, as well as 15 minutes before assembly each day.  Each class is allocated an area to keep free of litter, clear of weeds and undertake general gardening and garden improvements.  With areas being judged at the end of the year.  This I all knew, but did struggle to keep a straight face when it was announced in assembly that Kheni Lower Secondary School had won 3rd prize in the district in the clean toilet competition.  While the importance of educating some of these very rural students in basic hygiene is critical, there was something almost monty-pythonesque about the competition concept.  The students are very rural, my home group numbers 32 and only 5 are day students – the rest are boarders whose home villages are located more than an hour’s walk from the school – no road access.  The other grade 7 group is similarly structured.

And on the topic of hygiene – I now have the shower promised by my landlord -installed on Tuesday afternoon.  Pure luxury.  Fully adjustable: it turns on and off (assuming the water supply is working – it has gone off twice this week – that is why I keep the buckets of water beside the toilet and the sink).  I had already been told I have the best house in the village and the adjective “clean” seems to impress – the fact that it is new and fresh makes clean much easier to maintain.  The shower will be particularly appreciated once the weather starts to get really warm.  It is refreshing now at the end of a school day when I feel hot and dusty and covered with chalk.


No comments:

Post a Comment