Monday, July 13, 2015

A day in the life of…

10th July

One of my "school uniforms" - Kira  & Taego
This time next week school will be back in full swing.  Day 1 is Thursday, and I am scheduled for SOD – staff on duty.  This means arriving at school, dressed in my kira etc, by 6am to supervise morning prayer.  Despite the ridiculously early start (for me) I have found myself adjusting to the earlier rising:  the fact that many of my neighbours are up and about by this time does not enhance my sleeping late.  The walk to school is along the unpaved road, an absolute mud bog outside the gate to where I live, but I don’t think I will ever tire of the view of the valley or the beauty of the school prayer wheel.

Morning prayer is for the boarders – around 130 of them, and is rather a special time, apart from the need to keep an eye on some of the students to ensure they are doing the right thing.  Prayer is very much a part of their upbringing, their culture, and I feel very privileged to be part of this.

The boarders range in age from class PP (6 year olds) to class 8 (some of whom are up to 19 years old – no hesitation here about holding a student back if they are not passing.
The prayer wheel at Kheni Lower Secondary Schoo

Many, but not all, of the younger boarders have older siblings who are also boarders but there is one little boy who does not, and some of the older boys take it in turns to help him with washing his clothes, bathing, etc.  This caring for younger children is very much part of the culture and it is not uncommon in the villages to see quite young children with babies strapped to their backs with the handwoven shawls that are commonly used for this purpose.

Morning prayer is followed by morning study – required to be undertaken in silence, and then breakfast.

Breakfast, like all meals, includes much rice, and I never cease to be amazed by the quantitative of food that the small boys can consume.  To see the tiny six year olds, with their bowls heaped to overflowing, always leaves me wondering where they put it all!

One day in morning study I was intrigued by sqeaking noises coming from the direction of one of the boys and he confessed to having a fledgling tucked in his gho – he had picked up this little bird which was having difficulty flying.  These boys can be as rough and tumble as any, but sometimes very gentle too.  One helped me to plant my tree on national tree planting day, and to see the care with which Yeshi, a big boy in class 8, was breaking up the cow manure with his bare hands and carefully placing it around my sapling was really quite touching.

Dishwashing after a meal
Breakfast and dishwashing (assuming the water supply is working) is followed by morning social work.  I should have mentioned that dishwashing is, of course, done outside under the cold water tap.

Morning social work includes sweeping of the multipurpose hall and classrooms, the assembly ground and paths.  I have been trying to encourage wiping of the multipurpose hall tables to remove the spilt food – it just makes conducting the occasional unit test easier if I don’t have to avoid the puddles of tea or dhal when handing out papers.  The social work also involves gardening and picking up litter – wrappers of foodstuffs and snacks that are not supposed to be brought into the school, but….

SUPW - Socially Useful Productive Work
- making beautiful gardens
The litter problem is ubiquitous.  Like many countries that have been recently introduced to western foodstuffs and it wrappings, litter is often discarded at random despite attempts to educate otherwise.

Assembly, with further prayer, the unfurling of the flag, singing of the national anthem is also an opportunity to the dissemination of information; announcements are made, for both students and staff, and there are usually prepared speeches – one in English and one is Dzonkha – delivered by class 7 or 8 students.  As SOD I am required to comment on and give a mark for these speeches.  I seek assistance in relation to the Dzonkha speech!  Sometimes I understand the whole of the speech delivered in English. 

Classes start at 8:35am and there are 7 periods in the day.  Classes generally finishes at 3:20pm, with an hour for lunch.  My best day gives me 3 free periods and my busiest day, only 1.  Classes are also scheduled for Saturday morning, with 3 periods before a reading period and social work.

As well as my own classes and preparation and marking, students also seek me out to correct their English portfolio writing.  I am now making them ask me in full sentences, rather than putting a notebook in front of me while saying only “Madam, portfolio.”  The correction of their limited command of the English language can provide entertainment, and that should be the topic of another blog.  One category of errors so common that it is almost ubiquitous is the inappropriate use of articles. IF articles are used, the definite and indefinite are often used wrongly;  articles are associated with proper nouns and the word “one” often is used as an article.  And as for the use of apostrophes……
Class 7B Classroom

Classroom facilities are pretty basic:  blackboard, chairs and tables for the students, wall space allocated to teaching-learning materials for each subject.  I should specify that teaching-learning materials (posters, or “chart-papers” as they are best known) are generally hand prepared by the teacher.

Early on in the term I ask my students for ideas for beautifying their classroom, and my delightful class captain, Namgang, brings me a neatly written letter with ideas for improvement and in due course I purchase some cloth for them to put on the wall.  My request for them to bring containers for pot plants for the windowsill elicits no response, but as most are boarders, this is not surprising.  Plant pots are usually reused containers, and some of the most decorative around the school are made from old vehicle tyres.

The proud recipient of a lapel pin for most improved
If I am returning a marked assignment or test to the class, I will identify and reward not only those who achieved highest mark, but those who showed the most improvement
from the previous similar item, and those who have shown the best continuous improvement through the term.  Recognition and rewarding of the latter does elicit quiet shows of pride amongst the students concerned, and the class acknowledges their efforts with clapping.  I was intrigued early in the year to make one such presentation to a class 8 boy, to not receive the same level of response from the other boys, so I asked them about it and they said “but, it’s Yeshi”  I take it that Yeshi was not a high achiever or hard worker last year;  this year he has moved on to achieving well, and often receives top mark for a piece of work.

We are told at workshops that we should be aiming for 21st Century teaching and learning;  I sometimes find this challenging with lack of access to technology, classes of over 30 (I am lucky, some schools have over 40) and classroom sizes that are not conducive to rearrangement of the tables for group work plus teacher movement amongst students.  To say nothing of students whose favourite classroom activity seems to be copying from the blackboard.  Sometimes I tell them I just want them to think about and discuss a problem, that I know they can copy from the blackboard (albeit not always accurately), and early on this seemed to elicit great puzzlement.

I do try some level of differentiation for my students; somewhat essential given the ability range – I suspect the IQ range to be probably more than 80 points.  Class 7 mid term exam results ranged from 9% to 98%.  As well as identifying different problems for the more able students, and providing more blackboard based, simpler problems to supplement the text book for the lower ability, I am sometimes preparing and teaching double lessons.

Teachers normally go home for lunch and I am often asked whether I have prepared my lunch in the morning or whether I will be preparing during midday.  Actually, given that I did buy a fridge, lunch is usually leftovers from dinner the night before.  However, on my SOD day, I am required to supervise lunch – a cooked lunch for the boarders – and so eat the food they are eating.  I recall being asked by a colleague early on what Australians call the “nutella”, soy based balls that are used as a meat substitute in curry.  The closest I can think is the textured vegetable protein (TVP) that occasionally made its way into bushwalking rations, so I just say that it’s not a food I know from Australia.
Older girls helping the younger girls with reading

During lunch, and sometimes during the morning break or  “interval” we see some of the older girls helping some of the younger girls with their reading.  A lovely pastime and so important to this national year of reading.

I am supposed to check the toilets during lunch break, but often when I am SOD the water is off, so I pass on checking the amenities.

After school is afternoon prayer, which goes for 30-40 minutes if the day has been at all stressful, the prayers refocus me and I feel more peaceful – provided the naughty boys are not too naughty.

Students helping each other during remedial class
There is a break after afternoon prayer and before evening study, and 2 afternoons a week I conduct remedial classes for those students who are not performing well in class.  I do not enforce attendance at these although I do identify who should be participating.  When I first announced the remedial classes many students wanted to be part of it, including some of the much better students.

Evening study is also for the boarders; I see some of the very young boarders attempting to sit for an hour and do nothing, as they have nothing to do, and I encourage the older students beside them to give them work – from practicing writing their letters and numbers to writing out their multiplication tables.  It’s not mind-blowing stuff, but is useful.  Sometimes I want to get my class 7 and 8 students to practice their multiplication tables – many do not know them and it seriously impacts their mathematical progress.

I was most intrigued during evening study just before exams, to be asked for assistance with IT revision.  Apart from the fact that their text book and questions is Windows XP based and my computer preference is Mac, I was most amused to be asked by one of my students for study tips.  I suggested that those I had talked with them about and encouraged them to use during maths lessons and for their maths study would also be useful, and received back questions about whether the techniques were applicable to any subject.  These dear students never cease to amaze me with their innocence and naivety in so many (but not all) areas.

Boarders' Dinner
This is followed by dinner, and rice features once again – it is, of course, the staple in their diet.  Dhal is one of the accompanying dishes and depending on the day, the curry will vary, but is only meat on special occasions.  Potato curry, dried fish curry, some are tasty, some less so, but there is always plenty and the dish is predictable – not only did they have it for lunch, but they know what they will get on any given day.  A bit like home cooking when we were kids!!

The school kitchen:
fairly basic facilities to cook for more than 130 students.
After dinner the boys continue study in the multipurpose hall and the girls return to their hostel to complete evening study there.  My final duty for SOD is to ensure the girls are returned to their hostel.  I may then return home, around 7:30pm.

The school principal (addr
essed as Principal, Sir) very kindly came to relieve me during the evening meal during my last SOD, since the road was a bit muddy (understatement, sometimes the progress, or lack of, of 2 wheel drives through the mud outside my house provides lots of entertainment) and he thought it best that I walked home in full daylight.


My evening meal is normally followed by quite an early night on SOD days!

No comments:

Post a Comment