Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The pillowcases of our country


14th July
Students in Bhutan are taught most of their subjects in English, and while some of them are quite fluent, others struggle.

Given that for the students I teach, English is their third language, they do much better than I have ever done with a third language.  The local language is Sharchop, an unwritten language, as are many of the minor languages, and the national language, Dzongkha, which all must learn at school and which is the language of formal communication for the country.  While the students are supposed to speak either English or Dzonkha at school, I think that they often speak Sharchop. 

The teachers too, are required by policy to speak to the students only in Dzonkha or English, but for some teachers, even those who are required to teach their subject in English, their grasp of the language is not strong and what might be intended as a request invitation can often come across as a demand, and their written English sometimes reflects this, as a recent examination question illustrated.  One did speculate on why poor sections of people were necessary goods, after all, one has to amuse oneself somehow when invigilating a 2 hour exam.

There are, naturally, also degrees of competence amongst the students at written English and reading some of their efforts provides challenges, frustrations, amusement and sometimes, absolute hilarity.

Early on I was asked to proof read the Democracy Club magazine, with permission given to correct the writing, including the Vice Principal’s introduction.  The “track changes” function in Word was most useful!

One student, Nima, whose English teacher suggested had not actually written the piece himself, entitled his piece Advent of democratic world.  I pause to note the absence of an article – incredibly common in their writings.

Nima proceeds through a couple of paragraphs of flowery writing, praising the concept of democracy, to make the statement:
            It is astonishing that His Majesty the King Jigme Singye Wangchuck had previously changed the pillowcase of our country towards th most satisfying sway.
Astonishing indeed!  I was unaware that royalty were so concerned about the state of our bed linen.  With much amusement I changed the statement to talk about the pillars of our country and shared this little snippet with my colleagues.  With my friends, “changing the pillowcases” has become a bit of a standing joke.

Another wonderful little snippet for my amusement was from a student who asked me to correct a piece of English portfolio writing about friendship (actually, the piece was probably placed in front of me with the words “Madam, Portfolio”, a habit I am attempting to change.)  This student shared the piece of wisdom that we should choose good friends, not bed friends.  I was quite pleased that the student was not with me as I corrected this piece; so restraining my amusement was not necessary.  I understand from the class’s English teacher that the error was repeated in an examination answer, whether or not by the same student, I could not say.

Sometimes, what they write defies my comprehension.  Why would you write, on the front of your test paper “Madam, my name is written on the back page”?  Other times it gives me a little smile of appreciation, such as with the apology for poor test performance, or the self-made bookmarks placed to assist me in located a homework assignment, proclaiming the importance and benefits of hard work, when the assignment itself is incomplete or sloppy work.

I often think that it would be better if the students could write good basic English rather than being encouraged to expand their vocabulary with words, which if not obscure, have limited use and are often used inappropriately.  

I have made myself a promise to keep a record of the coming term’s amusing items.

What does surprise me pleasantly is the students’ preparedness to express their emotions openly.  I read love poems written by both boys and girls in class 8, I read poems they have written about their mothers (many deceased) and words that they write about us, their teachers.  I know that using the expression that teachers are their second parents is a bit of a cliché, but on Teachers’ day, when I received a card with those words from a student whose mother had died only recently, I found it particularly moving.

There are some students who are quite fluent and clear English speakers, and I had the opportunity to witness this one day, when I was asked to adjudicate an English class debate.  (All those hours spent as the solo cheer leader for my son’s debating team through 4 years actually came in useful here)  One young man, with a very winning smile, spoke very well, very persuasively, despite having little to say.  Perhaps a career in politics……

I have one student in class 8 who is part of my English Literary Club (yes, I am not a good person to be taking that club, but it was given to me anyway) who is, I believe, quite talented.  She brought me poems early in the year, but these dropped away, as did her performance in all subjects, as bigger issues impacted on her life.  I encouraged her to continue writing, to use self expression as a form of therapy, and am again touched by some of her writing.

I have recently seen one of her poems, mourning the loss of her grandmother one year past, and another in which she talks about her struggle to come out of her pond, her determination not to give up, despite lack of success and her sorrow when she sees her friends in functional family relationships.  She says, “Noone has enlightenment without facing obstacles”.  Some obstacles no child should have to face.


I photograph these poems with my phone, with the intent of compiling into a document and having it published in some way for her – probably only A4 printing and spiral binding given the facilities available.  It would be a small tribute to her capability and talent that may encourage and support her to better survive the obstacles that are impacting on her on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment