Thursday, February 4, 2016

Just Another Sunday...

11th October

Weekends can be precious, in more ways than one.  Given that a standard weekend for a teacher in Bhutan does not start until lunch time on Saturday (assuming no school related activities have been scheduled for the Saturday afternoon)

My water supply is not always clean...
I generally try to complete domestic chores on Saturday afternoon, after cooking something a bit decadent for lunch (potato chips featured from time to time, assuming I could buy potatoes, and I manage some good crisp not-too-oily chips on occasions)

Yesterday was a very satisfying Saturday afternoon. The water stayed running until I had finished my chores and had enjoyed my cold shower. The hot sun and stiff breeze dried my hand washed bed linen in good time and I had an invitation from my generous neighbour Sithar to an afternoon momo feast – she and other neighbours had spent a few hours chopping the filling, making the dough, rolling out small circles and folding the momo. These steamed dumplings are one of my favourite foods. 

Washing of bed linen is generally a Sunday task.  Since it needs to be hand washed in a bucket and wrung by hand, allowing a full day for it to dry (and keeping an eye on it to make sure that other activities in the general vicinity of the washing line are not serving to make it dirtier than before it was washed) is desirable.  While I started with 2 bed sheets, one became so threadbare before it ripped that it is now unusable and I only have one quilt cover, so getting everything dry in a day is very desirable!


Momo - a real favourite
Washing my towel is and getting it dry is an even bigger challenge.  I sprinkle with soap powder and pour boiling water onto it.  When it has cooled a little, I take the scrubbing brush and bar soap and scrub the grubby bits.  Then rinsing takes forever – at least 3 rinses (hoping that the water supply is adequate and clean, otherwise I have to use what I have stored in buckets – if the water supply is not running, the rinse water is kept for flushing the toilet)

As usual, I have marking to do – class 7 test papers this weekend – 65 of them - and decide that I will allocate myself “treats” after completing a certain quantity of marking.  The first of these is breakfast!  Then a little bit of gardening in my vegetable patch, going to the shop, going for a walk….

Bonus at the shop – there are vegetables.  Tree tomatoes – the first time I have eaten these, they are tart, but tasty so I buy some and there is also something that I could not identify (subsequently found out they were chokos – very high in vitamin C) and I was given some with a promise that more would be bought for me within a few days.

Chokos - a nice change and good for me
I hear chanting and singing coming closer to my house, and peeping out the window see a procession of school staff and other public servants, formally dressed in national dress.  I leave my house to inquire about the occasion and am told they are collecting for the health fund.  I am not totally sure exactly what this means – whether it is for the medicines that are dispensed by the school to the students, or to supplement the supply from the Basic Health Unit to the community.

The students are given de-worming tablets from time to time and the girls (and under 12 boys) are given weekly iron tablets.  Their reaction to these is characteristically mixed.  I send a student to fill a bottle with water to assist those (ie most) who need water to swallow their tablets, but some are reluctant and psych themselves up so badly that they can scarcely swallow the tablet.  It takes much gentle cajoling mixed with a stern approach and watching the taking of the tablets to get some to comply.  Their diet is quite deficient in iron, so the tablets are rather necessary.  The boys are generally ready to tell tales if the tablets are being secreted away or spat out afterwards.

Picking lentils clean...
I continue with my routine of interspersing marking with breaks for other tasks, including preparing dhal – one of my main sources of protein.  First though, I need to pick my lentils clean.  Stones, sticks and assorted other foreign bodies are mixed with the lentils so time is needed to clean the lentils before cooking, if I do not want to risk breaking a tooth.

Roadworks are in progress, 7 days a week, and the blasts from the dynamite (locally referred to as bombs) echo wonderfully across the valley.  When this happens at school, it generally elicits startled responses from students.  Sometimes it is so loud it makes me jump.  In a country geared towards emergency response to natural disasters such as earthquake and landslide, it is small wonder that some are rather jumpy.

It is still hot in Kheni during the day, with temperatures in the high 20s and the overnight low is still above 15.  This contrasts strongly with the complaints I am hearing from colleague Fraser in Dagana who is starting to feel very cold.

twising string to make rope
I think I have previously mentioned the need for a great degree of self sufficiency in the villages, and am diverted from my marking by the activities of my landlord beneath my window.  He is cutting narrow strips of wood from wider planks, using a handsaw, and he and his wife are twisting together strands of string to make a length of rope.

And there is the ongoing chanting of the man who is praying in the alter room attached to my house, but not accessible or used by me.  This room is separated from my living room with very thin walls, so all sounds come straight through.  This man has been coming daily to pray for around 2 weeks now.  Sometimes he is alone, sometimes with another man. 


Just another Sunday…

No comments:

Post a Comment